One of my favorite dishes is potato salad. I like eating it, making it, thinking about how to tinker with what flavors to include. However, I’d rather have something a teensy bit healthier waiting in the fridge than mashed potatoes covered in the traditional creamy mayo/yogurt/sour cream based sauce. Enter the chickpea–a food I’m slowly developing an obsession with. It’s super yummy, versatile, and has lots of protein in it.
I did end up using about a tablespoon of mayo in this recipe; I had that much left in a container of mayo, so I added a tablespoon of stone-ground mustard, the juice of one lemon, salt, and a generous bit of fresh ground black pepper (a staple in the kitchen IMHO), shaking it all up in the mayo jar. After mixing all of the ingredients, I spooned the glorious concoction onto a raw chard leaf, rolled it up, and ate. Dinner that night was pretty spot on. The recipe is below. Enjoy!
Vegetarian Chickpea “Chicken” Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2.5 cups
- 1 cup chickpeas, mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/8 cup finely diced celery
- 1/8 cup chopped cucumber
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Generous handful of chopped parsley
The Lemon Dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon mustard (I prefer stone-ground for its texture and flavor)
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste (I used roughly 1/2 tablespoon for mine)
- A couple pinches of cayenne pepper
- Cook pre-soaked chickpeas for about 1 hour at a rapid simmer.
- Mix chopped veggies, mashed chickpeas, and dressing in a bowl.
- Put on your favorite chickpea delivery mechanism and enjoy!